Top Software Development Companies
The best software development companies build custom software solutions, operating systems, websites, mobile applications and more. Our analysts and industry experts have ranked the leading companies that provide top-rated software services.
Best Software Development Companies Of 2020
Find the full list of the world's best software developers here. View their locations, compare rates and visit the companies' websites to learn more about their offering and past projects.
|Company||Website||Location||Team Size||Average Rate||Minimal Budget|
|1. The Gnar Company||https://www.thegnar.co||Massachusetts||Under 49||$150/hr||$10,000+|
|2. Altar.io||https://altar.io||Portugal||Under 49||$100/hr||$25,000+|
|3. EMERGE||https://www.emergeinteractive.com||Oregon||Under 49||$185/hr||$50,000+|
|4. ScienceSoft||https://www.scnsoft.com||Texas||500 - 999||$50/hr||$10,000+|
|5. itCraft||https://itcraftapps.com||Poland||Under 49||$50/hr||$25,000+|
|6. Itransition||https://www.itransition.com||Colorado||1000 & Up||$35/hr||$10,000+|
|7. Digital Silk||https://www.digitalsilk.com||Florida||50 - 99||$125/hr||$10,000+|
|8. UruIT||https://uruit.com||Uruguay||100 - 249||$50/hr||$50,000+|
|9. Syberry Corporation||https://www.syberry.com||Texas||250 - 499||$40/hr||$50,000+
|10. DCSL Software Ltd||https://www.dcslsoftware.com||United Kingdom||100 - 249||£80/hr||£25,000|
|11. Startup Development House||https://start-up.house||Poland||Under 49||$40/hr||$10,000+|
|13. Table XI||https://www.tablexi.com||Illinois||Under 49||$195/hr||$50,000+|
|14. Seamgen||https://www.seamgen.com||California||Under 49||$130/hr||$50,000+|
|16. PragmaticDLT||https://pragmaticdlt.com||Canada||Under 49||$75/hr||$10,000+|
|17. Brightscout||https://www.brightscout.com||Texas||Under 49||$95/hr||$50,000+|
|18. Binariks||https://binariks.com||Ukraine||50 - 99||$35/hr||$10,000+
|19. Attract Group||https://attractgroup.com||Nevada||Under 49||$35/hr||$10,000+|
|20. Applaudo Studios||https://applaudostudios.com||Texas||100 - 249||$75/hr||$10,000+|
|21. datarockets||https://datarockets.com||Canada||Under 49||$35/hr||$1,000+|
|22. fram^||https://wearefram.com||Vietnam||100 - 249||Inquire||Inquire|
|23. Clarion Technologies||https://www.clariontech.com||New York||250 - 499||Inquire||Inquire|
|24. ITech CRAFT||https://itechcraft.com||Germany||100 - 249||$45/hr||$1,000+|
|25. Dogtown Media||https://www.dogtownmedia.com||California||Under 49||$140/hr||$50,000+|
|26. Caxy Interactive||https://www.caxy.com||Illinois||Under 49||$165/hr||$50,000+|
|27. Terasol Technologies||https://www.terasoltechnologies.com||New York||Under 49||$50/hr||$10,000+|
|28. Factory||https://www.factory.hr||Croatia||Under 49||$50/hr||$10,000+|
|29. Sirin Software||https://sirinsoftware.com||Florida||50 - 99||$45/hr||$10,000+|
|30. Polcode||https://polcode.com||Poland||100 - 249||$75/hr||$10,000+|
|31. Idea||http://www.idea.lt||Lithuania||Under 49||$50/hr||$1,000+|
|32. Aurora Digital||https://www.auroradigital.eu||Finland||Under 49||$80/hr||$10,000+|
|33. KeenEthics||https://keenethics.com||Ukraine||50 - 99||$30/hr||$10,000+
|34. Athlon||https://www.weareathlon.com||Canada||50 - 99||Inquire||$1,000+|
|35. Rubyroid Labs||https://rubyroidlabs.com||Belarus||Under 49||$35/hr||$1,000+|
|36. Exposit||https://www.exposit.com||Belarus||100 - 249||$28/hr||$10,000+|
|37. Halo Lab||https://halo-lab.com||Ukraine||Under 49||$40/hr||$10,000+|
|38. Demodern||https://demodern.com||Germany||50 - 99||Inquire||Inquire|
|39. mindworks||https://www.mindworks.de||Germany||Under 49||$140/hr||$50,000+|
|40. the Design Agency||https://www.designagency.gr||Greece||Under 49||$59/hr||$1,000+|
|41. Eight Bit Studios||https://eightbitstudios.com||Illinois||Under 49||$185/hr||$25,000+|
|42. Cabot Technology Solutions, Inc.||https://www.cabotsolutions.com||Illinois||100 - 249||$30/hr||Inquire|
|43. Coding Sans||https://codingsans.com||Hungary||Under 49||$40/hr||$10,000+|
|44. PROGMATIQ||https://progmatiq.com||Poland||Under 49||$50/hr||$1,000+|
|45. Magora||https://magora-systems.com||United Kingdom||100 - 249||$55/hr||$10,000+|
|46. Algoworks||https://www.algoworks.com||India||100 - 249||$40/hr||Inquire|
|47. ImageX Media||http://imagexmedia.com||Canada||50 - 99||$125/hr||$25,000+|
|48. Techliance||https://www.techliance.com||Utah||Under 49||$20/hr||$1,000+|
|49. Leverage||https://www.leveragestl.com||Missouri||Under 49||$100/hr||$10,000+|
|50. Look4App||https://www.l4a-soft.com||Poland||50 - 99||$60/hr||Inquire|
|51. Kroon Studio||http://www.kroonstudio.com||Serbia||Under 49||$40/hr||$10,000+|
|52. 2muchcoffee||https://2muchcoffee.com||New York||Under 49||$40/hr||$10,000+|
|53. LORDEYS||https://lordeys.com||China||Under 49||Inquire||$10,000+|
|54. The Provato Group||https://www.theprovatogroup.com||Ohio||Under 49||$100/hr||$1,000+|
|55. Intellias||https://www.intellias.com||Ukraine||1000 & Up||$40/hr||$50,000+|
|56. Outsourcing Ukraine||http://www.outsourcing-ukraine.com||Germany||Under 49||$6/hr||Inquire|
|57. CyberCraft||https://cybercraftinc.com||Ukraine||Under 49||$50/hr||Inquire|
|58. KoderLabs||https://www.koderlabs.com||Texas||50 - 99||$35/hr||$10,000+|
|59. Idea Rebel||https://www.idearebel.com||Canada||Under 49||$180/hr||$10,000+|
|60. Spiral Scout||https://spiralscout.com||California||Under 49||$75/hr||$25,000+|
|61. lyra||http://lyra.digital||Spain||Under 49||Inquire||$10,000+|
|62. Switch Software Solutions||https://switchsoftware.us||Uruguay||50 - 99||$35/hr||$1,000+|
|63. ESKOR Werbeagentur||https://www.eskor.de||Germany||Under 49||$100/hr||$1,000+|
|64. WK360||https://wk360.com||United Kingdom||Under 49||Inquire||Inquire|
|65. Norderbergs||https://norderbergs.com||Sweden||Under 49||$75/hr||$1,000+|
|66. Solulab INC||http://www.solulab.com||California||50 - 99||$30/hr||$10,000+|
|67. Mega||http://themega.agency||Rhode Island||Under 49||$75/hr||$1,000+|
|68. DEEPBLUE||https://www.deepblue.com||California||Under 49||$125/hr||$10,000+|
|69. toughlex||https://www.toughlex.com||Lithuania||Under 49||$35/hr||$10,000+|
|70. QArea||https://qarea.com||California||250 - 499||$35/hr||$1,000+|
|71. Appus Studio LP||https://appus.software||Ukraine||Under 49||$27/hr||$1,000+|
|72. Clustox||https://www.clustox.com||Pakistan||Under 49||$20/hr||$10,000+|
|73. Silicon Overdrive||http://www.archer-soft.com||South Africa||Under 49||$50/hr||Under $1,000|
|74. Next Big Technology||https://nextbigtechnology.com||India||Under 49||$20/hr||$1,000+|
|75. Proxima agency||https://proxima.world||New York||Under 49||$40/hr||$1,000+|
|76. Euro Testing Software Solutions||http://www.euro-testing.com||Romania||50 - 99||$40/hr||$1,000+|
|77. TOPS Infosolutions||https://www.topsinfosolutions.com||California||100 - 249||$15/hr||$1,000+|
|78. PixelCrayons||https://www.pixelcrayons.com||India||500 - 999||$12/hr||$1,000+|
|79. KDSolutions||https://kdsolutions.com||Poland||Under 49||Inquire||$1,000+|
|80. Decipher Zone Software||https://decipherzone.com||India||50 - 99||$10/hr||Under $1,000|
|81. Web Design Sun®||https://www.webdesignsun.com||Spain||Under 49||$30/hr||$25,000+|
|82. Voyant Consultancy Services||http://www.voyantcs.com||India||50 - 99||$35/hr||Inquire|
|83. Telexar||https://www.telexarsoftware.com||Sri Lanka||50 - 99||$7/hr||$1,000+|
|84. Maocular Tech Expert||https://www.maocular.org||Nigeria||Under 49||$200/hr||$1,000+|
|85. CognitiveClouds||https://www.cognitiveclouds.com||California||100 - 249||$25/hr||$25,000+|
|86. ISS Art||https://issart.com||California||50 - 99||$35/hr||$10,000+|
|87. DxMinds Innovation Labs Pvt.Ltd||https://dxminds.com||India||50 - 99||$28/hr||$1,000+|
|88. Rwaltz Software||http://www.rwaltz.com||Georgia||Under 49||Inquire||Inquire|
|89. Software Brothers||https://softwarebrothers.co||Poland||Under 49||$55/hr||$10,000+|
|90. Xplicity JSC||https://www.xplicity.com||Lithuania||Under 49||$35/hr||Inquire|
|91. Ilao||http://ilao.co||Turkey||Under 49||Inquire||$1,000+|
|92. IntexSoft||https://www.intexsoft.com||Belarus||100 - 249||$35/hr||$1,000+|
|93. Techmango Technology Services||https://www.techmango.net||India||100 - 249||$25/hr||Under $1,000|
|94. Entrision||https://entrision.com||Wisconsin||Under 49||$125/hr||$10,000+|
|95. Finoit Technologies||https://www.finoit.com||Texas||100 - 249||$25/hr||Inquire|
|96. Digit Bazar IT Solutions Private Limited||http://www.digitbazar.com||India||50 - 99||$10/hr||$1,000+|
|97. Appscrip||https://www.appscrip.com||Georgia||100 - 249||$25/hr||$10,000+|
|98. UNL Solutions||https://unl.solutions||United Kingdom||Under 49||$35/hr||$1,000+|
|99. Parrolabs Inc||https://www.parrolabs.com||Colombia||Under 49||$65/hr||$10,000+|
|100. Vyrazu Labs||https://www.vyrazu.com||India||Under 49||$20/hr||$1,000+|
|101. HTML Pro||https://www.htmlpro.net||New York||50 - 99||$75/hr||$1,000+|
|102. RSQUARE MEDIA||https://www.rsquare.media||New York||Under 49||$150/hr||$1,000+|
|103. Kontra Agency||https://kontra.agency||Croatia||Under 49||$50/hr||$1,000+|
|104. Romexsoft||https://www.romexsoft.com||Ukraine||50 - 99||$35/hr||$25,000+|
|105. Cubix||https://www.cubix.co/mobile-app||Washington||100 - 249||$49/hr||$25,000+|
|106. LAKSN Technologies||https://www.laksn.com||India||50 - 99||$200/hr||$1,000+|
|107. RabIT software engineering||https://www.rabitse.com||Hungary||Under 49||$35/hr||$10,000+|
|108. Seasia Infotech||https://www.seasiainfotech.com||California||500 - 999||$25/hr||$1,000+|
|109. Huspi sp. z O.O.||https://huspi.com||Poland||Under 49||$25/hr||$10,000+|
|110. Ketek||https://www.ketek.ro||Romania||Under 49||$35/hr||$10,000+|
|111. Think Future Technologies||https://www.tftus.com||India||250 - 499||$25/hr||Under $1,000|
|112. SpinDance||https://spindance.com||Michigan||Under 49||$150/hr||$1,000+|
|113. Relliks Systems||https://relliks.com||Pakistan||Under 49||$30/hr||Inquire|
|114. Critical Mission Computing Ltd||https://www.criticalmissioncomputing.co.uk||United Kingdom||Under 49||$25/hr||$1,000+|
|115. Imperium Apps||https://imperiumapps.com||Germany||Under 49||$55/hr||$10,000+|
|116. Apiumhub||https://apiumhub.com||Spain||Under 49||$60/hr||$10,000+|
|117. *instinctools Company||http://www.instinctools.com||Germany||250 - 499||$37/hr||$1,000+|
|118. Social Media 55||https://socialmedia55.com||Canada||Under 49||$125/hr||$1,000+
|119. Dividato||https://sf.dividato.com||Florida||50 - 99||$40/hr||$10,000+
|120. OS-System||https://www.os-system.com||Ukraine||50 - 99||$30/hr||$10,000+
|121. AgileEngine||https://agileengine.com||Virginia||250 - 499||Inquire||$50,000+
|122. PSL Corp||https://www.pslcorp.com||Colombia||500 - 999||$48/hr||Inquire
|123. Delasign||https://www.delasign.com||New York||Under 49||$200/hr||$25,000+
|124. Tudip||https://tudip.com||California||250 - 499||$15/hr||$1,000+|
|125. Software Development Resources Inc.||https://softdevresources.com||New York||Under 49||$65/hr||Under $1,000
|126. Talmatic||https://talmatic.com||Ireland||Under 49||$35/hr||$1,000+|
|127. TechBear.com||https://techbear.com||New Jersey||Under 49||$23/hr||Inquire
|128. MaxSoft||https://maxsoft.bg||Bulgaria||Under 49||$30/hr||$1,000+|
|129. RootQuotient||https://rootquotient.com||Canada||Under 49||$40/hr||$10,000+
|130. Envision Dennis Romano LLC||https://envisiondr.com||New Jersey||Under 49||$137/hr||$10,000+
|131. Website Web Designs||https://websitewebdesigns.co.za||South Africa||Under 49||$20/hr||Under $1,000
|132. Splash Designworks LLC||https://splashdw.com||Delaware||Under 49||$149/hr||$1,000+|
|133. Povio Labs||https://poviolabs.com||California||100 - 249||$50/hr||$10,000+|
|134. Webdevium||https://webdevium.com||Texas||Under 49||$100/hr||$1,000+|
|135. Buzz Interactive||https://www.buzzinteractive.co||Pakistan||Under 49||$45/hr||$1,000+|
What Is A Software Development Company?
A software development company is an organization specialized in providing software services including building customized programs, platforms and digital interfaces, that help your business work more efficiently or your consumers interact with your brand more effectively.
These companies build solutions and programs for businesses’ internal and external needs, such as accounting systems or online retail sites, respectively.
Software developers can also improve and personalize existing programs to meet an organization's needs.
Because they work on digital programs, software developers can often work remotely, which allows businesses to hire the top teams worldwide, gaining access to a larger talent pool and minimizing the cost of development.
What Do Software Development Companies Do?
Software is a "written language", or code, that powers technology.
Software systems are usually referred to as “solutions” because they are designed to solve problems - from mundane personal to complex professional ones. These are mainly developed to facilitate a task or streamline processes.
Besides the solutions, software can also be developed for entertainment purposes; Think computer games and gambling sites.
Software companies are the experts who:
- Design the solutions which include product or platform conceptualization
- Integrate it with other systems
- Design the UI & UX, i.e. how the websites, apps and other interfaces look and feel to the users
- Quality assure (QA), i.e. test it before it goes live, or troubleshoot as part of maintenance
- Deploy it
- Maintain it
- And/or provide support to its users
- And more
What Are The Types Of Software Companies?
Because software can serve virtually any industry and area of business, and because technologies are so many and varied, there are many types of software companies that develop specific industry, platform, technical and/or technological expertise.
These are some of the types of software companies by industry and field specialization:
- Healthcare software companies
- Medical software companies
- Education software companies
- HR software companies
- Retail software companies
- Telecom software companies
- And more
These are some of the types of software development companies by platform and system type specialization:
- Web development companies
- UI/UX development
- App development companies
- Enterprise software companies
- eCommerce development companies
- IoT development companies
- AI and machine learning specialized companies
- Big data specialized companies
- And more
Then there are the companies that specialize in delivering specific types of services, mainly:
- Staff augmentation, i.e. dedicated teams: These software companies hire and manage teams of IT professionals dedicated exclusively to your organization and who act as an extension of your in-house team. This is a type of long-term partnership.
- Project-based development: Companies that specialize in project-based development form shorter-term, one-time partnerships that last until the successful delivery of the client’s project or until the partnership is dissolved.
What Is The Difference Between IT Companies and Software Companies?
An IT company operates within the information technology industry. As such, it is an umbrella term for software, hardware and everything in between.
An IT company can develop and support solutions for any industry, but it can also specialize in the physical side of tech, such as developing wearables, building robots, hardware part of the IoT systems, devices like smartphones and laptops, etc.
In other words: every software company is an IT company, but not every IT company is a software one.
Researching Software Development Firms: These Questions Will Help You Focus
There are several aspects to consider to identify the top software company, i.e. the best development partner for your business.
However, before evaluating what the market has to offer, it is important to address and assess your organizational needs first.
To prep for your search, be sure to clearly define your requirement and the goals you hope to achieve with the development of your solution, preferably backing every point with relevant data.
Then, consider the following:
Location: Where Should Your Software Development Company Be Based?
This step will help you focus your search on local or foreign prospective software partners.
The key question to ask yourself is: How important is my team’s physical accessibility to my organization, and vice versa?
In other words:
- Will your development partner need access to your physical offices, storage or other corporate premises?
- Will you require frequent on-site meetings?
- How important is it to remain within your local legal and business systems?
- How important is it to overlap with your development partner time zone-wise?
The answers to these questions can help you determine whether to onshore, nearshore or offshore your software development.
Budget: How Much Are You Looking To Invest?
Development cost and the cost of other software services differ greatly, not only across geographic regions but within the markets as well.
There are many factors that determine the software company’s price sheet, from the local cost of living and doing business to the companies’ level of expertise and client portfolio.
Our above-featured list of the top software companies comes with a price estimate for each. This will give you an idea of the most cost-effective regions, i.e. countries for your software development project and how far your budget can take you.
Other Aspects To Consider
If you decide to onshore your software development, i.e. to partner with US-based software developers, look for the candidate that:
- Has the technical expertise you require: If you need eCommerce solution, look for companies specialized in eCommerce. If you want a PHP website, look for the candidates that highlight PHP expertise on their website.
- Has had the exposure to your industry: Though this should not be a decisive factor, previous exposure to your industry can give your prospective development partner a leg up on the development process as it cuts the knowledge building time.
- Has developed solutions similar to yours, or delivered services similar to those you require: This is another important, but a non-essential feature of your prospective development partner which can save valuable time otherwise invested in knowledge building. Additionally, if it software services that you are after, such as tech support or quality assurance, it would help if your prospective development partner has had extensive experience in these.
If you are looking to offshore your software development, all of the above apply with the addition of:
- Quality of local IT education
- Local development standards
- The size of the local talent pool
- Local intellectual property (IP) laws and other legal protections your business would enjoy
- Local business environment
- Local political climate
How Much Do Software Companies Charge For Their Services?
Software development companies typically price their services per resource per hour. Therefore, these rates vary greatly depending on:
- Company location
- Number of resources
- Level of expertise
- Third-party charges
The greatest factor in service cost is geography. South Asian companies can charge as low as $20 per hour, while North American companies can charge as much as $200 for their high-end expertise.
Speaking of, expertise is an important factor in the service cost. Companies in any given location will command a range of prices, depending on the quality of their portfolios, management and resources - all of which will play a crucial role in the quality of their output.
In terms of average project cost, the lowest start at $1,000 in Eastern Europe, Asia and South America.
North American projects start at $5,000 and average at around $10,000.
How To Choose A Software Development Company For Your Business?
Identifying the right software partner for your business is crucial for the success of your project.
Once you have narrowed your options down to a few prospective partners, the steps to take are:
- Conduct in-depth interviews with each candidate: This is your opportunity to revisit and examine all the information about the company’s portfolio, skills and experience. It is also the opportunity to learn about:
- Their management: Assess how experienced and qualified they are
- Their evolution and vision: Know where they come from, where they are going and how stable their business is
- The company’s recruitment practices: Learn how they ensure they have the best talent on board
- How they keep their staff on top of their game: Learn about the processes and practices they employ to keep their staff in tune with the latest trends and technologies
- Their staff turnover rates: Assess how loyal their workforce is as an important factor in the progressive domain knowledge buidning with your team
- Their data protection practices: Evaluate how safe your sensitive data would be in their hands
- Their disaster management plan: Evaluate how prepared they are to tackle crises like security breaches, technical failures, data loss and other
- Their communication channels and practices: Learn how they facilitate communication with the clients and how they ensure transparency over the development process
- Conduct in-depth interviews with each company’s references to confirm the company’s claims and gain a client perspective on their work. Key questions to ask are:
- How would you evaluate your collaboration?
- How would describe the company’s technical expertise and the quality of their input?
- How would you evaluate the quality of the company’s output?
- How easy was it to collaborate with the company’s management and other staff?
- What advice would you give our organization that could contribute to the successful partnership?
10 Questions To Ask When Interview Software Development Companies
- What are your core areas of expertise?
- How do you deliver your services: Project-based or dedicated teams model?
- Which technologies do you specialize in?
- Have you built similar type solutions to ours?
- Have you developed solutions for our industry before?
- What is your preferred development methodology and why?
- What is your approach to project planning like, including development strategy and KPIs?
- What is your approach to project management like, including team roles and project management tools?
- How do you approach client communication?
- How much would my project cost?
Found The Right Software Development Partner? Here Is One Last Tip To Ensure Your Project Is Off To A Good Start
With your development partner decided on, all that remains is to draft the corporate agreement and start the development planning process.
Be sure to have legal assistance in all stages of deal conclusion, from contract drafting, to editing, clause negotiation to proofing and signing.
With that, your project is on its way. Best of luck!