Top Software Development Companies In New York
Did you know that NYC has one of the highest population of software developers in the US?
We have researched the best software development companies in New York to help you find a reliable partner for your business. Compare the companies based on their average rates and team sizes, and visit their websites to learn more. Here are the top three:
Fingent is a New York-based custom software development company that unites new technology trends with client’s business needs, delivering innovative and easy to use applications, improving productivity and customer experience.
Featured Clients: PwC, University of North Carolina, NEC, Asteco, Sony
Syberry has built over 250 custom software solutions for over 150 corporate clients and variety of sectors. Their experts deliver successful software solutions to clients, solving a variety of individual business problems swiftly.
Featured Clients: Walt Disney, PayPal, Campus Suite, THG Energy, PIXRIT Texas
Best Software Companies In NYC Of 2020
Here is the extended list of the best software development agencies in New York that create cutting-edge solutions to meet your business needs:
|Company||Website||Location||Team Size||Average Rate||Minimal Budget|
|1. Fingent||https://www.fingent.com||New York||250 - 499||$49/hr||$25,000+|
|2. iTechArt||https://www.itechart.com||New York||1000 & Up||$35/hr||$25,000+|
|3. Syberry Corporation||https://www.syberry.com||New York||250 - 499||$40/hr||$50,000+|
|4. Digital Silk||https://www.digitalsilk.com||New York||50 - 99||$125/hr||$10,000+
|5. Proxima agency||https://proxima.world||New York||Under 49||$40/hr||$1,000+
|6. HTML Pro||https://www.htmlpro.net||New York||50 - 99||$75/hr||$1,000+
|7. Suits & Sandals||https://suits-sandals.com||New York||Under 49||$175/hr||$50,000+|
|8. Terasol Technologies||https://www.terasoltechnologies.com||New York||Under 49||$50/hr||$10,000+
|9. Sneakers Agency||https://sneakersagency.com||New York||Under 49||$125/hr||$25,000+|
|10. Dogtown Media||https://www.dogtownmedia.com||New York||Under 49||$140/hr||$50,000+|
|11. Applaudo Studios||https://applaudostudios.com||Texas||100 - 249||$75/hr||$10,000+
|12. Mega||http://themega.agency||New York||Under 49||$75/hr||$1,000+
|13. Tvisha Technologies Pvt LTD||https://www.tvisha.com||India||100 - 249||$10/hr||Inquire|
|14. 2muchcoffee||https://webdesksolution.com||New York||Under 49||$40/hr||$10,000+
|15. IPNY||https://www.ipny.com||New York||Under 49||$250/hr||$50,000+|
|16. Critical Mass||https://www.criticalmass.com||Canada||500 - 999||Inquire||Inquire|
|17. BOWEN||https://www.bowenmedia.com||New York||Under 49||$150/hr||$25,000+|
|18. DVG Interactive||https://www.dvginteractive.com||New York||Under 49||$200/hr||$25,000+|
|19. Crowd||https://thisiscrowd.com||United Kingdom||100 - 249||$125/hr||$1,000+|
|20. Soft Tech Group||https://softtechgroup.us||New York||100 - 249||$20/hr||$1,000+|
|21. Blue Fountain Media||https://www.bluefountainmedia.com||New York||250 - 499||$150/hr||$50,000+|
|22. Major Tom||https://hubs.ly/H0ftGlZ0||Canada||50-99||Inquire||$1,000+|
|23. Sound Strategies, Inc.||https://soundst.com||New York||Under 49||$70/hr||$1,000+
|24. Faction Studio NYC||https://www.factionstudio.com||New York||Under 49||$95/hr||$25,000+|
|25. Royal Media Services||https://www.royalmedia.us||New York||Inquire||Inquire||Inquire|
|26. Live Animations||https://liveanimations.org||New York||50 - 99||$30/hr||$10,000+|
|27. The Source Approach||https://www.sourceapproach.com||New York||Under 49||Inquire||$10,000+|
|28. Tech2globe Web Solutions LLP||https://www.tech2globe.com||New York||100 - 249||$15/hr||$1,000+|
What Is Unique About Software Development Companies In New York?
Just like any other software agency, software development companies in New York also specialize in developing applications that allow people to perform various tasks across different devices.
However, operating in one of the world's most advanced and competitive markets, they:
- offer high-end expertise
- hire some of the world's best IT talent
- have access to the latest software development trends and tech
New York developers also tend to develop deep expertise in developing solutions for the region's leading industries such as:
- Real estate
- And more
What Does A Software Development Company In NYC Do?
New York development companies offer standard software development services, such as:
- Network set-up and management
- Database management
- Quality assurance
- Software support
- And more
Many of them develop deep technical expertise in areas like end-to-end product development, artificial intelligence, big data and Internet of Things.
New York-based software development experts deliver their services to thriving local startups, as well the world-leading brands and institutions.
What Are The Different Types Of Software Companies in NYC?
There are many different types of software development companies in New York City.
We can divide them into three parts, based on:
- The solutions they offer: Some of the NYC software developers specialize in building websites, others in building apps or desktop solutions. However, there are also agencies that have experience in building complex operating systems and/or specialize in developing data science, cloud computing, IoT, AI and other solutions.
- The industries they serve: Most of the software development companies in New York are flexible in terms of the industries they serve, while some specialize in particular niches. You may find that NY developers tend to have the most experience working with clients in the locally dominant industries such as retail, fashion and publishing.
Why Hire A Software Development Agency In New York?
The Big Apple has some of the most competitive industries and businesses worldwide. As such, it attracts some of the most skilled developers out there.
According to the U.S. Bureau Of Labor Statistics, in May 2018 there were 52,640 software developers in NYC. And the number is constantly on the increase due to the high demand for these experts.
Here is why you should also consider hiring a software development agency in New York:
- Leverage their experience in the leading industries around the globe: Given the city’s influence on the global finance, publishing and advertising scene, the best software companies in NYC will have built deep expertise in these domains and in a lot of more.
- Reach the local audience: To reach your New York-based audience you should work with a company that has a deep understanding of your local ecosystem, market and competitors. And is there a better choice of a business partner than the local developers themselves?
- Outperform the competition: No matter whether your target market is located locally or globally, you still need qualified experts to push you a step ahead of your competition. Software companies in NYC offer cutting-edge solutions that will help you compete with both local and global brands.
Expect to find some of the industry’s leading experts who are welcoming of any challenge you may throw their way. After all, the sheer competition and ecosystem of the local tech industry would not allow for anything less.
10 Questions To Ask A Software Development Agency In New York
1. Do you have a preferred tech stack? This will tell you which technologies every software development agency in New York has mastered and how diverse its skill set is.
2. Are you open to exploring other options to suit your project? Not all technologies will be right for your project. So, you want to make sure the company selects the tech stack to suit your requirement rather than their preferences.
Engagement and development methods:
3. What development methods do you use and why? Depending on the type of your project, you will want different levels of flexibility and ways of dealing with changing requirements.
4. How will you engage me and my team in the development process? This will help you understand your and your team’s role in the development process, as well as the necessary level of involvement.
5. Who will be the key contacts? Know who to reach out to and for which matter.
6. How do they deliver their services? Some software development companies in New York City will build dedicated teams, others will handle your requirement of a project basis.
7. Which project management software do you use and why? This will play a role in communicating and documenting progress, as well as give you transparency over the development process.
Questions about team communication:
8. Do they have clearly structured communications processes? Communication can make or break your project, so make sure that the software development agency in New York you hire takes this matter seriously.
9. What are your communication guidelines and platforms? A structured approach to communication will involve actively used channels and their purposes clearly defined.
Training and development:
10. How much do you invest in training and development? A company dedicated to the professional -and even personal- development of its staff is a company that is ready for any challenge.
How Much Do Software Development Companies In New York City Charge?
The wages of a software developer in New York are 85% higher than the median national ones. On average, software engineers in NYC make 107,000 per year.
What does this mean for your software development project?
Wages will dictate the average rates you can expect to pay for your software development project. In New York, this will translate to roughly $120 or more per hour.
However, you may come across rates as low as $40 per hour. Software companies in New York are only able to achieve such rates by opening offices or subcontracting developers abroad.
If this is the case, be sure to gain a thorough insight into the company’s operations and how these would reflect on your collaboration. The questions you will want to be answered are:
- What time zone are my developers in?
- How do we navigate the time difference?
- Should I expect any language barriers? If so, how do we overcome them?
- Should I be aware of any cultural differences and local holidays?
- What are the communication channels for instant messaging and video conferencing?
How To Choose The Best Software Development Company In New York For Your Business
With such a big pool of qualified software companies in NYC to choose from, finding the right one can be a daunting task.
However, asking the right questions can make the process more straightforward and put you on the fast lane towards the right software development agency in New York for your project.
These are the two most important aspects to focus on when screening software companies in New York City:
Dig Into Their Past Work
Research the company’s previous clients, case studies and portfolio items to understand how deep their knowledge of your industry is. If they haven’t had exposure to your industry, then seek to understand how thoroughly and efficiently they build domain knowledge.
Another key aspect to explore is their collective mindset. Ask them about their current shortcomings, past failures and the lessons they’ve learned from them.
A team that is aware and unafraid to acknowledge the less shiny sides to their performance, and shows strategic initiative to overcome them, is the team that will work hard to solve your project’s challenges as well.
Read Their Reviews
Client reviews can help you understand more facets of the candidate’s business than just their expertise.
They can tell you how easy it is to collaborate with the company’s management and developers; How attentive they are to details; How transparent they are in planning, performing and pricing; and more.
A pro tip is to also take employee reviews into consideration. You can tell a lot about how the company is going to treat your business based on the way they treat their employees.
Platforms like Glassdoor can help you hear the voices of the people who will be developing your solution.
A Quick Overview Of New York’s Software Industry: Understanding The People Who Will Be Developing Your Solutions
Don’t let the bright lights of Wall Street and advertising agencies fool you into thinking that the software industry is crunched in some corner of New York.
On the contrary, the city has one of the highest concentrations of IT professionals and software companies in the US.
In fact, New York’s tech industry generates over $137 billion dollars per year.
How Many Software Professionals Does New York City Employ?
New York City’s tech industry employs approximately 320,000 people - one of the largest pools of software professionals in the US.
This means that by outsourcing your project to a software company in New York, you gain access to this incredible wealth of talent.
Here is the breakdown to the most popular specializations:
- 13,860 Computer Network Support Specialists - the highest in the US
- 42,740 Computer Systems Analysts - the highest in the US
- 41,940 Computer User Support Specialists - the highest in the US
- 10,370 Computer Network Architects - the highest in the US
- 28,220 Network and Computer Systems Administrators - the highest in the US
- 8,490 Database Administrators - the highest in the US
- 12,530 Web Developers - the highest in the US
- 8,220 Information Security Analysts - 2nd highest in the US
- 20,270 Software Developers (Systems Software)
- 78,380 Software Developers (Applications)
- 1,860+ Other IT Professionals
New York Software Companies And Tech Brands: Branches And Headquarters
New York is home to world-leading tech companies, mainly publishing and media, eCommerce, financial services and creative web platforms.
The high concentration of name-brand tech companies testifies to the standards and quality of work software companies in New York maintain.
Additionally, these companies are known to subcontract smaller software companies in New York, some of which are ranked in our list above.
With such star-studded client portfolios, these companies have the expertise and creativity to turn any idea of yours into reality.
Here are some of the best-known tech companies that hail from and are headquartered in New York City:
- Bloomberg: Founded in 1981, Bloomberg is a go-to source of news and information for financial professionals. Over 9,000 people work at New York headquarters, forming part of Bloomberg’s 19,000 global workforces.
- Local employees: 9,000
- Address: 731 Lexington Avenue, New York
- Etsy: Etsy is an online marketplace for handcrafted and unique goods. The company is Brooklyn-based, founded in 2005 and currently employs over 800 people.
- Local employees: Undisclosed
- Address: 117 Adams Street, Brooklyn
- Vice Media: Known for their daring coverage of underground and pop cultures, international phenomena, tech and international news, Vice Media has a loyal fanbase worldwide.
- Local employees: 1,000
- Address: 49 S 2nd St, Brooklyn
- BuzzFeed: BuzzFeed is a world-famous digital magazine, advertising platform and news center with a web audience of over 200 million.
- Local employees: 600+
- Address: 111 E 18th St, New York
- Meetup: Meetup was founded in 2002 to bring people together. It is an events platform for themed get-togethers centered around shared interests and purposes like learning and discovery.
- Local employees: 200+
- Address: 632 Broadway
In addition to the locally grown ones, here are the biggest name-brand tech companies with branches in New York City:
- Google’s NYC office is located at 111 Eight Avenue and employs over 7000 New Yorkers. Last year, Google announced major NYC expansion plans which could result in 12,000 additional staff.
- Amazon may have withdrawn the plans for HQ2 in New York, but the eCommerce giant has already built quite a presence in the city employing well over 3,500 residents.
- Facebook is another tech giant that has claimed their piece of New York. Their branch is located on the corner of 770 Broadway and 225 Park Avenue, and houses over 1,000 local employees.
- Salesforce develops and markets a leading CRM platform. The company’s New York branch is located in Bryant Park in Midtown and employs 950 NYC residents.
- Spotify, the music streaming platform, has an NYC brand in 4 World Trade Center where 600 of its local employees sit.
Takeaways: Who Should Consider The Software Development Companies In New York?
Surrounded by world-renowned universities and brands, software companies in NYC are the right choice for clients looking to develop high-end software solutions, particularly in the field of finance, advertising and publishing.
Most of these companies will command hefty prices, but the results are likely to be nothing short of impressive.
To hire the right software development agency in New York:
- Read the companies’ case studies and portfolios to see who their past clients are and how well they know your industry.
- Set a meeting and ask them about their shortcomings and failures as well as how they solve the project’s challenges and issues.
- Go through the reviews of their past clients left to see how reliable and transparent they are as well as how they treat the partners they work with.