Top Houston Software Development Companies
As you search for the best software development firm in Houston for your brand, it can be hard to know each company's value adds and exactly what you'll be getting once you sign a contract. Our experts analyzed the top software developers in Houston, TX to determine the best firms proven to help brands grow effectively.
Applaudo Studios provides software solutions rooted in their team's many years of design expertise and research. They have offices in Austin, New York, Denver, Los Angeles, and DC. The agency also has development centers in Central America. Applaudo Studios builds software for mobile and web.
Top Houston Software Companies Of 2019
Now that you've seen the top 3 custom software development companies in Houston, take a look at the full list! Each development firm was added based on cost, expertise, and more.
|Company||Website||Location||Team Size||Average Rate||Minimal Budget|
|1. Syberry Corporation||https://www.syberry.com||5910 Courtyard Dr., Suite 155, Austin, Texas 78731, United States||250 - 499||$40/hr||$50,000 & Up|
|2. Applaudo Studios||https://applaudostudios.com||Applaudo Studios 701 Brazos Street Austin, TX 78701 United States, Austin, Texas 78701, United States||100 - 249||$75/hr||$10,000 - $25,000|
|3. Optima Ninja||https://optimaninja.com||10333 Harwin Dr. Suite 570, Houston, Texas 77036, United States||Under 49||$120/hr||$1,000 - $10,000|
|4. Dogtown Media||https://www.dogtownmedia.com||228 Main Street, Suite 4, Venice, California 90291, United States||Under 49||$140/hr||$50,000 & Up|
|5. Code Authority||https://codeauthority.com||3001 Dallas Parkway Suite 500, Frisco, Texas 75034, United States||50 - 99||Inquire||Inquire|
|6. Scio Consulting||https://sciodev.com||2028 E Ben White Blvd #240-6611, Austin, Texas 78741, United States||Under 49||$50/hr||$25,000 - $50,000|
|7. Speaks Marketing Group LLC||http://www.speaksmarketing.com||9901 Brodie Ln Ste 160-267, Austin, Texas 78748, United States||Under 49||$100/hr||$10,000|
|8. Sphinx Solutions||https://www.sphinx-solution.com||4th Floor, Godrej Avanti, Shankar Sheth Road, Swargate, Pune, Maharashtra, 411042, Pune, 411042, India||50-99||$18/hr||$1,000|
|9. Mega||http://themega.agency||11 S Angel St, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, United States||Under 49||$75/hr||$1,000 - $10,000|
|10. CognitiveClouds||https://www.cognitiveclouds.com||5433 Ontario Common, Fremont, California 94555, United States||100 - 249||$25/hr||$25,000 - $50,000|
|11. Schaefer Advertising||https://schaeferadvertising.com||1228 S. Adams Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76104, United States||Under 49||$175/hr||Inquire|
|12. Pork Pixel||https://porkpixel.com||6166 US-87, Sutherland Springs, Texas 78161, United States||Under 49||$120/hr||$1,000|
|13. Click and Create||https://www.clickandcreate.us||4010 Blue Bonnet, Suite 201, Houston, Texas 77025, United States||Under 49||$95/hr||$1,000|
|14. Noisy Trumpet: Digital and Public Relations||http://noisytrumpet.com||7550 West Interstate 10, Suite 150, San Antonio, Texas 78229, United States||Under 49||$150/hr||Inquire|
|15. Bell Media||https://www.gobellmedia.com||700 Montgomery HWY Suite 140, Birmingham, Alabama 35216, United States||50-99||$125/hr||$1,000|
|16. Search Scientists||https://www.searchscientists.com||7509 Manchaca, Suite 201, Austin, Texas 78745, United States||Under 49||Inquire||$1,000|
|17. Magik Digital||http://magikdigital.com||1617 Park Place Avenue, Suite 110-MD, Fort Worth, Texas 76110, United States||Under 49||$180/hr||Under $1,000|
|18. OnTrack CMO||https://www.ontrackcmo.com||19805 Deer Hollow Lane, Tampa, Florida 33548, United States||Under 49||$175/hr||$10,000|
|19. Empuls3||https://www.empuls3.com||9100 Independence PKWY, Plano, Texas 75025, United States||Under 49||$100/hr||$1,000|
|20. V Digital Services||https://vdigitalservices.com||1201 E. Jefferson Ste 201, Phoenix, Arizona 85034, United States||50-99||Inquire||Inquire|
|21. Adcoast||https://adcoast.com||1090 Texan Trail Suite 400, Grapevine, Texas 76051, United States||Under 49||$50/hr||$1,000|
Custom Software Development In Houston: Which Projects Can I Outsource?
If you look at software development companies around the US, you will find that most of them are willing to take on projects in almost any industry, and they also tend to be quite flexible when it comes to technologies.
However, a good rule of thumb to follow in these cases is to broaden your view and focus on their greater home ecosystem.
Operating in an industrial environment, software companies in Houston are most likely to have built expertise in domains such as oil and gas, energy in general, healthcare and construction.
If your project is highly technical and needs developers who are accustomed to complex engineering and heavy industries, then software companies in Houston, and cities like Dallas and Austin -for that matter- will be your best choice.
That is not to say that you should discount Houston for “softer”, more mainstream projects.
The city and its tech industry are changing rapidly. Industries like hospitality, including cafes and restaurants, events and experiences, are thriving.
Software companies in Houston are soaking in this change and developing skills applicable to both technically and creatively-sound solutions.
How To Choose A Software Development Company in Houston For My Business
We can assume that you have narrowed down your search to Houston either due to its proximity to home, or their ability to take on highly complex and technical projects.
Either way, choosing a development partner is never an easy task, and not because of the lack of options. On the contrary: Software companies in Houston are many, as you can see in our highly filtered list above.
Choosing the perfect company goes beyond expertise and cost. You should find a partner whose skills and experience match your requirement, and whose development methods and approach to work are in tune with your organization.
Here are nine key questions to ask when screening software companies in Houston:
- Have they developed solutions in your industry? - If they have, they are likely to have a good jumpstart on the project and move quicker than others as they’d need less time to build domain knowledge. If not, try to gauge how quickly they can catch up.
- Have they developed solutions similar to yours? - Though it shouldn’t be a deciding factor, experience in building solutions similar to yours can be particularly helpful in highly complex projects.
- Which technologies do they use and why? - Software companies in Houston will typically have a preferred stack or two. If these can answer your project requirement, that is another benefit that will put you on a fast(er) track to completion.
- Are they open to other tech stacks? - Flexibility is crucial for successful software development. A company’s willingness to step outside their comfort zone for the sake of your project is a great indicator of this.
- What is their preferred development method and why? - Most companies choose Agile for exactly the reasons mentioned in the explanation of the previous question - flexibility. No project runs smoothly, i.e. exactly as planned, so be sure to select a development method that suits your organization’s pace and way of dealing with change and challenge.
- How do they deliver their services? - Some software companies in Houston will take on tasks on one-time project basis, others will build dedicated teams that will see your solution through the entire development cycle and beyond, to maintenance and further development.
- How structured are their communication processes? - A high-performing software development company in Houston will take a serious approach to communication. They will have clearly defined channels, practices and contacts to manage the flow of information, accelerate reaction time and facilitate documentation.
- What do their previous and current clients have to say? - When conversing with references, focus on aspects beyond those you can learn on the company’s website or during conversation with their representatives. Try to understand how easy it is to collaborate with them, how quickly and effectively they react to change, what is their approach to problem solving and how creative they are.
- What do their employees have to say? - We always say “happy employees are creative employees.” If unable to directly interview the company’s developers and other software professionals, turn to Glassdoor and social media. Do keep in mind, though, that negative reviews are common and to be expected. Look beyond the unhappy few to gauge the real sentiment within and towards the organization.
Looking to outsource a project to a software development company in Houston, Texas?
Check out this step-by-step guide to software development outsourcing: How To Outsource Software Development Projects Successfully: A Step-By-Step Process
IT Companies In Houston: Understanding The People Who Will Be Developing Your Solutions
Houston’s tech industry generates $28 billion per annum. With 5.8% economic impact, the industry is not a leading one in the region, but it is one of the fastest growing.
In just ten years, the number of Houston-based tech startups has gone up by almost 150%, rising from 567 in 2008 to 1,409 in 2018.
The trend follows the migration of the IT workforce within the country; Cost of living in other major tech hubs like San Francisco and New York is perpetually on the rise, pushing the IT talent towards less expensive and more family-friendly cities.
As a result, the concentration of all types of IT companies in Houston is growing, whether it is startups seeking access to funding, major corporations looking for business-friendly environments, or software companies in pursuit of highly skilled IT talent.
How Many Software Engineers Live In Houston, Texas?
Houston’s tech workforce counts 227,788 IT professionals, as per the latest records.
Considering that the city is still not one of the nation’s leading tech hubs, this is one healthy talent pool you can access by partnering with software companies in Houston.
Here are some of the most common tech occupations in the city:
- 2,930 Computer Network Support Specialists
- 14,370 Computer Systems Analysts
- 14,270 Computer User Support Specialists
- 8,140 Network and Computer Systems Administrators
- 2,340 Database Administrators
- 1,520 Web Developers
- 5,780 Software Developers (Systems Software)
- 14,620 Software Developers (Applications)
- 4,670 Computer Programmers
Houston Software Companies And Tech Brands
Software companies in Houston are deeply influenced by their local tech peers and overall environment.
These are a couple of the world-leading companies that shape the Houston tech scene:
HostGator is a well known web hosting platform, as well as SEO and web development service provider headquartered in Houston since 2007.
- Address: 5005 Mitchelldale St #100, Houston
- Employees: 1,000+
Headquartered in Houston, FlightAware is the world’s largest flight data platform, tracking over 10,000 aircraft operators and 12,000,000 passengers.
- Address: Eleven Greenway Plaza, Suite 2900
- Employees: 350+ (unconfirmed)
How Much Does A Software Engineer Make In Houston, Texas?
The average annual tech salary in Houston is $95,520, but this fluctuates across professions and experience levels.
Systems software developers earn the average $108,750 per year, while app developers $109,800.
Translated to project costs, when working with software companies in Houston whose workforce is entirely home-based, expect to pay upwards of $75 per hour.
If you come across lower rates, be sure to enquire after the company’s organizational setup. Some software companies in Houston will be able to achieve lower rates by subcontracting foreign workforce/agencies or maintaining offices in less expensive US cities. Should this be the case, flush out all the details and how they would affect your project.
Software Companies In Austin And Dallas, And Other Cities In Texas Where You Can Outsource Software Development
If you are willing to look beyond the software companies in Houston, Texas in general has a lot to offer. Of course, big cities take the lead, so other great places to research would be Austin, Dallas and San Antonio.
Most software companies in Texas will have developed similar expertise, as the state’s economy is decidedly industrial.
Here is a list of the best software development companies in Texas, outside Houston:
600 Congress Ave., Floor 14, Austin, Texas 78701, United States
$50,000 & Up
5910 Courtyard Dr., Suite 155, Austin, Texas 78731, United States
250 - 499
$50,000 & Up
Applaudo Studios 701 Brazos Street Austin, TX 78701 United States, Austin, Texas 78701, United States
100 - 249
$10,000 - $25,000
3001 Dallas Parkway Suite 500, Frisco, Texas 75034, United States
50 - 99
2028 E Ben White Blvd #240-6611, Austin, Texas 78741, United States
$25,000 - $50,000
Speaks Marketing Group LLC
9901 Brodie Ln Ste 160-267, Austin, Texas 78748, United States
Summary: Who Should Consider Partnering With Software Companies In Houston?
Houston is a tech hub thriving in an environment with deep roots in engineering and heavy industries. It is also an affordable location where highly skilled IT workforce has been flocking to in the past few years.
As such, you should consider outsourcing your project to software companies in Houston if you are looking for highly skilled software professionals for better prices than the eye-watering ones you’ll encounter in San Francisco and New York.
Software companies in Houston are great for any project, particularly those that are highly complex, technical and/or in one of the fields the region is known for: energy, healthcare and construction.