Top Medical Software Development Companies
When organizations are dealing with the health of a human being, there is no room for technological error. Thus, these organizations, hospitals and medical-related brands need the help of top-rated medical software developers to create custom solutions that provide better medical care, access to information, screening, data collection, payment options and more. Check out our list of the best custom medical software development companies around the world below.
The Gnar Company
A company that takes a consultative approach to a whole new level, The Gnar is open to any challenge, industry, client. They have extensive experience in working with clients in medical and related industries, designing and developing responsive sites, helping with marketing and SEO campaigns, and bringing clients to the business objective bullseye.
Top Medical Software Development Companies Of 2019
Working in the medical field is stressful enough without worrying about your software failing on you! Luckily, our complete list of the best medical software development firms will help you find the experts that suit your needs.
|Company||Website||Location||Team Size||Average Rate||Minimal Budget|
|1. Dogtown Media||https://www.dogtownmedia.com||899 Pine St, San Francisco, California 94108, United States||Under 49||$140/hr||$50,000 & Up|
|2. The Gnar Company||https://www.thegnar.co||19 Kingston Street, Floor 3, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, United States||Under 49||$150/hr||$10,000 - $25,000|
|3. Syberry Corporation||https://www.syberry.com||5910 Courtyard Dr., Suite 155, Austin, Texas 78731, United States||250 - 499||$40/hr||$50,000 & Up|
|4. ISS Art, LLC||https://issart.com||820 Post Street, San Francisco, California 94109, United States||50-99||$35/hr||$10,000 - $25,000|
|5. Apiumhub||https://apiumhub.com||Plaza Urquinaona 1, Principal 2a, Barcelona, 08010, Spain||Under 49||$60/hr||$10,000 - $25,000|
|6. ICON Worldwide||https://www.icon-worldwide.com||Beethovenstr. 9, Zürich, 8002, Switzerland||Under 49||$50/hr||$10,000 - $25,000|
|7. Rubyroid Labs||https://rubyroidlabs.com||Platonava 20B-3 3rd Floor, Minsk, 220005, Belarus||Under 49||$35/hr||$1,000 - $10,000|
|8. Switch Software Solutions||https://switchsoftware.us||Agr. Fco. Ros 2780 Montevideo, Uruguay||50 - 99||$35/hr||$1,000 - $10,000|
|9. Tudip||https://tudip.com||Sr. No. 241/3/A, Datta Mandir Road, Wakad, Pune, 411057, India|
1999, Bascom Ave Suite 700 Campbell, CA 95008, USA
|250 - 499||$15/hr||$1,000 - $10,000|
|10. RGW IT SERVICES||https://www.rgwit.be||Dreve Richelle 161 -H, Waterloo, 1410, Belgium||Under 49||$45/hr||Under $1,000|
|11. Decipher Zone Softwares||https://decipherzone.com||14 E Stratford Ave, Lansdowne, PA, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19050, United States||50 - 99||$10/hr||Under $1,000|
|12. MEDIAVORE interactive||https://www.mediavore.ca||202-3030 Cure-Labelle blvd, Laval, J4B 7T6, Canada||Under 49||$100/hr||$10,000|
|13. Brawn Media||https://www.brawnmediany.com||441 New Karner Rd, Albany, New York 12205, United States||Under 49||Inquire||$1,000|
|14. MazzMedia||https://www.mazzmedia.com||via Gioacchino Rossini, 3 Milano, Milano, 20122, Italy||Under 49||$50/hr||$1,000|
|15. Halo Media||https://www.halo-media.com||Knoll Road, Westville, Durban, 3629, South Africa||Under 49||$70/hr||$1,000|
|16. Trinity Communications FZ LLC||http://www.tcmedia.ae||Trinity Communications FZ LLC Boutique Studio 9 #1, Dubai Studio City, Dubai, U.A.E, DUBAI, 93035, United Arab Emirates||Under 49||$100/hr||$1,000|
|17. SEO Toronto - Media Glance||https://www.mediaglance.com||334 Adelaide St. W, Toronto, M5V 0M1, Canada||Under 49||$125/hr||$1,000|
|18. Boostflow Multimedia||https://www.boostflow.ca||1864 Chebogue Rd, Yarmouth, B5A 5G3, Canada||Under 49||Inquire||Under $1,000|
|19. Glass Bullet Media||https://www.glassbullet.co.uk||Buko Tower, Glenrothes, Fife, KY62SS, United Kingdom||Under 49||$40/hr||Under $1,000|
|20. Leaders Media LTD||https://leadersmedia.ca||Vancouver BC, Vancouver, V5X 3G2, Canada||Under 49||$60/hr||Under $1,000|
What Is Medical Software?
The terms medical software and healthcare software are often used interchangeably, but while they are related, the two denote different types of software solutions.
Medical software is typically developed to power medical devices and serve for the purpose of training and simulation, equipment planning, diagnosis, patient data collection and management, and more.
What Are Medical Applications?
Many modern medical devices require some form of software to function properly. And the use of this medical software solution is called the "medical software application."
This software can help the device to complete a task, maintain performance, gather information, store data, or allow users or medical professionals to control the device manually.
What Is Medical Software Engineering?
Medical software engineering is the development of software solutions for the medical industry.
There is some overlap with healthcare software development, as they both operate within the same industry and wheelhouse. However, medical engineering tends to live a little more deeply in large-scale medical research and practice -- often called biomedicine.
In fact, medical software developers often complete the same tasks as software developers in biomedicine or biomedical engineers.
What Do Medical Software Companies Do?
Medical software companies create custom medical software solutions for things such as:
- Patient imaging, such as CT scans and MRI devices
- Data collection and analysis from medical researchers
- Diagnostic systems
- And more!
Medical software companies are crucial for the healthcare and medical industry. Without the custom software and innovative technologies that they weave together, doctors, nurses, researchers and other healthcare providers would have a much harder time treating and diagnosing patients, finding cures for diseases, and learning more about both the human body and public healthcare in general.
What Are The Official Guidelines For Medical Software Development?
Because custom medical software development can be the difference between life and death, there are international standards in place to ensure the performance of new medical software. This international standard is called IEC 62304.
IEC 62304 mandates a process that each medical software development life cycle should follow. New medical software should follow these steps:
- Analysis of requirements
- Architectural design
- Detailed design of the software
- Implementation and verification
- Integration and testing
- System testing
- Software release
Each step has detailed information that medical software development firms must document and supply in order to be considered compliant with international standards.
Additionally, there are three levels of IEX 62304 compliance. Class A requires that software document numbers 1, 2, 5 and 8 above. Class B requires that software solutions document numbers 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 above. Class C requires that medical software document all steps listed above.
In order to comply with IEC 62304, medical software developers should also outline items such as:
- Risk management processes
- Medical software maintenance plans
- Record maintenance
- And more.
Medical Software Companies: How Do I Find The Right Software Development Partner For My Business?
The key to finding the best medical software development agency for your business is selecting the one that has the skills and expertise to meet your needs.
While other organizations can afford to trade domain knowledge for cost advantage, the healthcare-related ones need all the assurance and insurance they can get for the quality and security of their medical software solutions.
And the search parameters do not end there.
Here are some of the aspects to consider when looking for a medical software development partner:
Medical Software Company Expertise
Start your search by defining your requirement. Medical software companies will generally be able to take on any medical software development project, but each will have their unique fortes.
This is particularly important for more complex medical software requirements like those that require the additional hardware expertise.
Medical Software Company Location
Some medical practices will need software developers who can interact with them in person, while others will fare just fine with a remote medical software development agency.
Take stock of how crucial it is that your developers work at your office. If you can collaborate well with remote developers, expanding your search to global firms will help you find the best fit for your custom medical software development needs from anywhere in the world.
Medical software development is a pricey investment -- however, sometimes a higher upfront cost can provide better quality work and a stronger return on investment.
Determine how much you can feasibly spend on development, how much you can allocate towards maintenance, when you'd like the project to be completed, and the goals you hope to achieve. Then, find a medical software development firm who can work within those parameters.
Screening Medical Software Companies: 16 Questions To Ask
When you narrow your options down to a few software development candidates, you will find that the differences between them are relatively minute.
Here are a few questions to help you identify the best medical software development partner for your organization:
- How do they ensure data security? As a healthcare organization, or one that caters to the healthcare market, your patients’ data security is your priority. When assessing their data protection measures, be sure to touch on both, the physical aspect of data storage (servers) and the data protection practices developed for their staff adhere to.
- Do they have a disaster recovery plan? Be sure to assess how comprehensive the plan is.
- Have they developed software solutions similar to yours? Similar past experience can significantly reduce the development time that the company would otherwise spend building technological and domain knowledge. This, however, should not be a key feature in decision making, but merely an added benefit.
- Which technologies do they specialize in and why? And would they consider other tech stacks if they are better suited to your project? This will not only help you examine their expertise, but also their flexibility and willingness to find the resources for the successful delivery of your project.
- What is their preferred development method? Most companies will use Agile, but it is on you and your partner to find the methodology that works best for your organizations.
- Do they have clearly defined communication channels and processes? The best software development companies know that effective communication is key for successful delivery. You will want your medical software development partner to take a serious approach to facilitating your communication and ensuring transparency over the development of your project.
As we mentioned earlier, building custom medical software is a large investment, so screening the prospective medical software development partners should be as thorough as possible.
An important part of the screening process are conversations with your candidates' references.
Here are some of the questions to ask medical software companies' references:
- How satisfied are you with the outcome of your collaboration?
- How would you describe the company's approach to your project: their interest in and knowledge of the industry, and their progress over time on this score?
- How knowledgeable were they of the local regulations applicable to medical software?
- How would you describe the company’s approach to data protection?
- Have you experienced any major setbacks over the course of the project? If so, how would you evaluate the company’s reaction to it?
- How would you evaluate the company’s agility?
- How would you evaluate the company's technical expertise?
- How would you describe the company's management and other key contacts you've interacted with?
- How would you evaluate your communication throughout the project?
- How could we ensure that our experience with this medical software development partner is just as, or even more favorable than yours?
Offshoring Medical Software Development
If you are looking to partner with an offshore medical software company, the screening process will be somewhat more complicated.
The home regulations when it comes to anything healthcare-related are tight and not necessarily present or familiar to foreign medical software companies.
Additionally, (we can assume that) you are dealing with highly sensitive patient data and other information which has to be handled with utmost discretion and care.
With those in mind, be sure to also address the following:
- Has the company developed FDA-compliant medical software before?
- Have they developed HIPAA-compliant medical software before?
- How do they handle sensitive data? Who will have access to it? How do they control access within the organization?
- Has their staff received training on any data security regulations and best practices (GDPR, for instance)?
- How is intellectual property (IP) protected in their home market?